Centre for Distance Education
Promoting collaboration and knowledge-sharing in distance education, the Centre for Distance Education (CDE) is a University of London International Programmes initiative to support the development of expertise in this field at College level. The CDE supports a community of practice and provides a focus for the development of high quality teaching and research in distance education throughout the federal University. The objectives of the centre are:
• to promote excellence in teaching that is focused on distance learning
• to promote research into distance education within the University of London
• to enhance distance learning and its status in higher education;
• to foster new innovations, both pedagogic and technological, within distance education, and evaluate their reception by students of the University
• to facilitate dissemination of best practice within the community of London Colleges.
The overall purpose of the Centre is to enhance the student experience and improve student achievement.
Centre activities include:
• coordinating an advocacy and development network in the Colleges, Institutes and the Central University
• coordinating and supporting the activities of Distance Education Fellows in the Colleges
• managing the distribution and monitoring of Teaching and Research Awards for the University of London International Academy Lead Colleges Committee
• providing training, knowledge management,development funding and consultancy services
• organising development fora including symposia, seminars and conferences
• managing the work of a panel of experts and specialists, to provide recognised expertise of the highest standards.
The Learning, Teaching and Assessment Sub-Committee has oversight of these activities, and reports to the London International Academy Lead Colleges Committee, which funds the core activities of the Centre.